Monday, August 27, 2018

Is It Time To Forgive Sagamore Beach BBQ?


Everyone on Earth saw the fallout of the texts between an employer and an employee from Sagamore Beach BBQ. I was asked about it in Duxbury, and even had a woman from Nashua mention it to me.

Ahhh... Facebook.

The uproar damaged the business, at the height of the summer, which is the season that makes or breaks Cape Cod businesses. I go by there a lot, and it's like a ghost town. 

Is it time to cut this guy some slack?

I am of two minds on this one. There is nothing worse than a horrible boss, with the possible exception of a man who screams at children.

We have all had rotten bosses and we have all had rotten employees. I have been fired with a punch to the face before, and I have given my 14 days notice by punching the boss in the face and then stomping on him 13 times while he lay on the ground.

I haven't had to beat one of my employees... but the day ain't over yet, as Jack Palance once said.

The Sagamore Beach BBQ guy did apologize to the kid and his family, and did a public mea culpa on the various Facebook pages of Bourne and Plymouth.

Bourne gave him a lesson about how to treat employees that he felt in his bank account. Nobody wants a screaming boss in their territory.

However, he is more than a jerk. He is A) a business owner renting a shop in a struggling Sagamore Beach area, B) a guy who employs local residents, and C) the only place around who sells Brisket.

Brisket, while not a complicated dish, does require intense and time-consuming labor. One must perform a spice rub and then cook the meat over indirect heat for up to 12 to 24 hours. One cannot say "I think I'll make some brisket tonight" and stop on the way home to grab the necessary materials. You have to devote a full day to it.

The BBQ man is not the man who you want to chase away from your town. It benefits us all of this man succeeds and if his business gets a good reputation. He will employ local residents and pay local taxes for a generation.

Yes, he seems to be an ass. Most chefs are. A chef is somewhat like a general on the battlefield, in that certain eccentricities must be allowed.

He did bad and he was punished for it. It may be time to move on. I could use some ribs, now that you mention it...

We lifted this picture from the Sagamore Beach BBQ  website


4 comments:

  1. Here we go....I saw it.I was shocked,humiliated for the boy,etc,etc...And then...I took a look at myself in the mirror."I am not perfect."I may not yell at my employees,embarrass them,say horrible things to them to the point where those who tend to think they are perfect refuse to do business with me.Facebook can ruin a business in the blink of an eye.Do you truly think the punishment fits the crime? A lot can be taken out of context. Things are distorted,black and white turns into a muddy shade of gray.God forbid ANY one of you do something that your customer wants to put on here,or your employee.I own a small business and a local one time client (I fired her) said some nasty awful things about me on facebook after she was not at home for me to clean her home.She had her husband tell me what to do which was totally different than what we had agreed to,and she never bought the cleaning product she was going to buy...but she felt compelled to blast me and my 20 plus yer reputation on facebook.Well,my entire woman's networking group got involved and blasted me,refused to hear me out,and I had a few that backed me...To this day,I am struggling and this happened 2 years ago.I have a family to support.They need to eat,and pay bills.HE too has a family.THINK about them.THINK about how they didn't have a thing to do with this.My rule of thumb.Wait 24 hours to post anything on facebook.Get your thoughts together.If you feel sill it is important to BLAST someone,do it,but maybe sitting down with them and working it out is better.There is ALWAYS A BETTER WAY.It also doesn't make you look so good either.So you warned a bunch of people about a business.Did it make you feel good? Perhaps that says something about you.Take a look in the mirror.How do you feel now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guy definitely deserves it. You cant treat any employee that way no matter what, if he has treated one with such ignorance and hatred than he must have done it to many more. If you have ever eaten there and then smoked or cooked your own brisket its a world of difference im not sure if they use inferior spices or bad meat but its just not that great. "I havent had to beat one of my employees...but the day aint over yet" probably sums up your position and ignorance on the matter, and fighting a boss adds to the proof. This man should not be running this business, get a new local business in place of his and the area will be far better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely 100% couldnt agree with you more. The writer of this article really tried to justify violence or anger towards employees by saying hes punched his boss and kicked him. All due respect, but I've had bosses like this guy before, and theyve all eventually gone out of business. Karma is REAL and people like this always get theres. In addition to this, saying we should forgive somebody like this just because hes "the only place around that sells brisket" doesnt fly with anybody who has morals and any type of logic.

      Delete