Sunday, June 7, 2020

Wareham BLM, 6/6/20

Wareham had a Black Lives Matter protest Saturday.

The rally involved protesters marching on the Wareham police station.


There was also a kneeling section of protest with a moment of silence.

The WPD substation took no chances. To be fair, it reverts back to the Water Department on July 1st, and what odds would you set on two plate glass windows with WAREHAM POLICE DEPARTMENT painted on them surviving a police brutality March?

This dude was just regular paranoid. The march was peaceful. To be fair to this guy, and as someone who boarded up my beach house a few times for what turned out to be a minor nor'easter, I can say with some confidence that it is better to board up unnecessarily than it is to be sweeping up glass on a Sunday morning.


Heavy

Police

Presence

Bourne may have had 5 cops at their rally, which had almost 5 times as many people. Sturgis kids organized it, and Sturgis kids are efficient AF.

Bourne trended younger, whiter, fewer people arriving from taverns... more of a Pep Rally. Wareham, 33% black, was a much angrier BLM crowd. Watching this crowd come up the street was like watching a thunderstorm forming.

However, aside from some shouting, it was less menacing than I thought it would be.

The organizers did a good job, and the people were there for a good cause. No heads needed to get busted.

There were about 200 of us, but there was great potential energy.

The crowd was white enough that I didn't feel like Mr. Kurtz.

Good kids at both rallies I attended.

I had a protest crush on the girl in the dress, and she did say hi at one point. My game has actually been improved with the rioting. I have a cool job that puts me in wild scenes, and I have a thrice-bitchin' USA plague mask, which covers up my worst feature... my face. I'm a towering man, genuinely ugly, and I look somewhat like the Frankenstein monster. I will miss these days of pandemics, masks and rioting.

It took a while to get people kneeling, but once they Kaepernicked, all went well.

The kneeling was the evening's centerpiece.




Extra points for the functioning inland Gateway lighthouse.



Two straight protests where I forgot to wear black. I did have black running pants for this one, but my FAIRHAVEN BLUE DEVILS t-shirt was grey/blue. I didn't think of the Farrakhanian implications of "blue devils" at a BLM police brutality rally, I just collect local town shirts.

This rally was cooler than Bourne's because the old dudes in the crowd would yell at the younger ones if they started doing something stupid. This guy didn't tell at anyone, he was just photogenic 

"It was Saturday night in America, and I felt like a native son."


The angrier folks were upfront, with nothing between them and some ice-grill cops was Oxygen.

These kids social distanced well, but most of the crowd was jammed together like a Chinese subway.


Officers Baptiste and Declas, I believe. This got a pop from the crowd, although some girl behind me, with impressive lung power, kept telling "Token" over and over. The chief, who has a whole squad of other cops to deal with, declined any offers to Kaepernick or even Tebow.

The organizers did a good job, and it wasn't easy. There was a great deal of animus.

You don't gotta go home, but you can't stay here.



No comments:

Post a Comment